Friday 8 March 2019

A virtual tenant:flat viewings via Facetime are fine — but some deals still can't be done without old-fashioned paperwork


My funniest ever viewing was with a prospective tenant who was still in his pyjamas, having just got out of bed.
Not that he turned up at the flat in his PJs, he sent his girlfriend, who Facetimed him while she “walked” around.
I could see him on her iPhone screen, sitting at his kitchen table, dipping toast into his egg.
He was speaking from Los Angeles, from where he was relocating to the UK, so his bubbly girlfriend took him from room to room on her phone, while providing him with a running commentary.
“This is the bedroom babes, wow, you probably can’t tell, but it’s huuuuge.”
I was busy with another couple when his girlfriend arrived, so I left her to show herself around, but every so often she’d shout questions, such as: “Are the windows double-glazed?” then relay him the answer: “No, babes, but I don’t think it matters.”
“Do you get much traffic noise?” “She says yes, babes, but I think you’ll get used to it.”
Eventually, when the other couple left, I thought it would be easier if I accompanied the girlfriend and spoke to “Babes” in person.
We “walked” him through the bathroom, living room and kitchen. I turned on the shower while the girlfriend held her phone to demonstrate the water pressure, then I held the phone while she bounced on the sofa.
We both started to get a little giggly and began putting him inside all of the appliances one by one, and then we left him shut inside a cupboard for a few seconds.
Eventually, when we got bored with this game, she suggested he make me an offer. He said he was happy to pay the full asking price and move in as soon as the property was vacant, but sadly I wasn’t able to accept.
As he was American, he needed a visa to live in the UK and, as a landlord, I was legally obliged to check both the visa and his photo ID as part of the Right to Rent checks introduced a few years ago.
Unfortunately, he wasn’t able to show me either as his passport was still with the British Embassy in the States.
I really liked his girlfriend so I was tempted to let him take the flat on condition that he showed me the visa and photo ID when he arrived in the UK.
However, my head was telling me not to be swayed by my emotions. I knew there was a big risk that his visa would be refused, then I’d have to find a new tenant. I decided to reject his application.
His inability to show me a valid visa wasn’t my only concern. I was also worried that I wouldn’t be able to run a credit check on him as these are only possible on applicants who have been living in the UK for at least the previous six months.
Also, I’m never keen to let to tenants who haven’t actually seen a property in person, just in case they find they don’t like it after all.
Fortunately, I had several other offers so I picked the one that seemed the most straightforward.
I felt bad for his girlfriend, but I was sure she’d find “babes” somewhere else, as soon as he sorted his visa.

No comments:

Post a Comment