Monday 30 April 2018

Social housing is not just a safety net for the few


With more and more people made homeless or forced to pay excessive rents, the charity Shelter is investigating how to help them.

Although provoked by the Grenfell Tower tragedy, which drew attention to social housing in the UK, Shelter’s commission into the future of social housing will go much wider than one fateful fire and address concerns that people in social housing are being ignored.
Alongside 15 others, including Ed Miliband, Doreen Lawrence and those from the Grenfell community, I have joined the commission and will spend the next few months hearing from social tenants about their experiences, setting out necessary changes and scrutinising the role the sector could play in easing Britain’s housing crisis.
I am the first to admit that I’m an unlikely social housing commissioner. I have never lived in social housing. Even during my childhood, my parents turned to our wider family to support us during tough times. Social housing, meanwhile, was for people who had hit rock bottom and had nowhere to turn for help.
Growing up, I was fortunate enough to seize the opportunities provided by social mobility. I was lucky that, as a young lawyer in Yorkshire, I was able to buy my first home – for around twice my salary. Yes, interest rates were high 25 years ago and I still had to work hard, but it didn’t occur to me that I wouldn’t be able to buy my own home.
Now I meet young solicitors who, even with a promising career, know the prospect of owning their own home seems impossible. I used to assume that the market would always provide for people who worked hard, that any kinks in the housing market would iron themselves out in the end. Of course, a safety net would always be necessary for some, yet for the majority hard work would pay off and social housing would be as irrelevant as it had been to me. Housing would be a private matter, not a government concern.
Now, this basic social contract is broken. Socially mobile young people find that working hard isn’t enough unless they have help from the bank of mum and dad. And that safety net for people at the bottom? It’s looking ever more stretched as more and more people need help.
It’s clear that the housing market is fundamentally broken. Tweaks by successive governments have not rectified this and even the current Conservative government has published a white paper on the “broken housing market”. That’s because the effects are being felt widely, from the growing numbers of people being made homeless, to young people stuck in expensive and insecure private rents, despairing of ever finding a way out.
Politicians cannot look young people in the eyes and honestly tell them that everything will be OK if they just work hard. Our broken housing market has become a major barrier to social mobility.
This is an intolerable situation and demands politicians of all hues respond. Shelter’s commission will consider the role in which social housing, and government more generally, should provide an alternative.
I start this process with a genuinely open mind. I admit that I have been innately sceptical of large-scale social housing. I’ve always seen it as a safety net, but a worsening housing crisis forces us to ask whether that safety net needs to be stretched far wider. Or, with the market no longer providing a housing ladder, does a wider group of people need to use social housing as a stepping stone?
Shelter has embarked on a large consultation and fact-finding exercise, which will give me and my fellow commissioners the evidence we need to answer these questions. It’s a privilege to have the opportunity to debate this alongside 15 smart people from a range of backgrounds and political affiliations. We have met once and it’s impossible to guess what we will conclude, but what’s clear and exciting is a shared determination to set out a vision for social housing that everyone can support.


No comments:

Post a Comment